A Satire by One of "In Uetro"

 “Teenage angst has paid off well, now I’m bored and old."


"Serve the Servants" was written in 1992. The earliest known version is a home demo, featuring Cobain on vocals and acoustic guitar, recorded on a boombox in 1992. This version was released on the posthumous Nirvana box set, With the Lights Out, in November 2004.

That single line is enough to capture the raw, bitter, and deeply human sense of disillusionment in Kurt Cobain. “Serve the Servants” isn't merely the opening track of In Utero—it is a confession, a satire, and a rebellion, all in one breath. And now, we're gonna breakdown this song to see what Cobain was really trying to say. 



Song lyrics

Teenage angst has paid off well
Now I'm bored and old
Self-appointed judges judge
More than they have sold

If she floats then she is not
A witch like we had thought
A down payment on another
One at Salem's lot

Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants
That legendary divorce is such a bore

As my bones grew they did hurt
They hurt really bad
I tried hard to have a father
But instead I had a dad

I just want you to know that I
Don't hate you anymore
There is nothing I could say
That I haven't thought before

Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants
That legendary divorce is such a bore

Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants, oh no
Serve the servants
That legendary divorce is such a bore

The lyrics talk about the frustration and boredom of someone who has successfully overcome teenage angst but now feels old and weary. There’s also criticism toward people who see themselves as self-appointed judges those who act more righteous than they’ve actually achieved.

The song also depicts a misunderstanding about someone where if a person floats, then she can’t be a witch as they once thought. There’s an intention mentioned about making a down payment for another house in Salem.

Another part of the lyrics explores a troubled parental relationship, someone who tried hard to have a good father figure but instead ended up with a disappointing one. However, the writer expresses that he no longer harbors hatred toward that person, and there’s nothing left to say that he hasn’t already thought of before. Finally, the lyrics repeatedly touch on “that legendary divorce,” portraying it as something tedious and overblown and also Cobain’s sarcasm toward his parents’ divorce, which the media kept sensationalizing.. 

Anyway, that’s just my opinion about what the song really means. You might see it in another way, and that’s totally fine. Feel free to see it differently.


Source :

IDN Times

https://open.spotify.com/track/3w5Ekq9O8g0gGFEsT77Ydi?si=DAqW2bFRR66jsdKpdGbBfg



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please Use Your Logic...

α΄›Κœα΄‡ Κ™α΄‡κœ±α΄› κœ±α΄œΚ™α΄›ΚŸα΄‡ ΚŸα΄α΄ α΄‡ α΄„α΄Ι΄κœ°α΄‡κœ±κœ±Ιͺᴏɴ